Looking for a prickly pear hair oil that will soften, hydrate, and help to nourish your damaged, split ends? This Dae hair oil is honestly to die for.
After just a few uses I noticed my dull, frizzy hair regain some much needed life. This oil makes my hair look soft and shiny without weighing it down and reducing volume. It’s lightweight consistency won’t make your hair look greasy.
I love that this hair oil is free of harmful ingredients. It feels “healthy” and my hair just soaks it up. The smell is also incredible.
SHORT VERSION: I loved Dae Prickly Pear Hair Oil. I would buy this oil again.
Dae Prickly Pear Hair Oil
What is it?
Dae Prickly Pair Hair Oil is a multi-use hair oil treatment that claims to strengthen your damaged hair, fight frizz and flyaways, soften and detangle.
I love that it is multi-purpose. You can use it to add shine to your hair, you can use it as an overnight treatment, or you can use it right out of the shower as a detangler and moisturizer for your hair to help prevent breakage. I even love to use the leftovers on my hands or face.
It will help with dryness, split ends and breakage.
Good for all hair types
It works for all hair types. If you have thick dry hair (like me) I still can get away with only 1 pump. A little goes a long way.
This product is also vegan, cruelty-free, and gluten-free, and comes in recyclable packaging.
My Hair Type
My hair type is definitely dry, damaged and frizzy. I have long thick, course hair that isn’t super easy to tame. It is color treated. My natural hair color is dark blonde/light brown – it keeps getting darker as I get older. I add blonde highlights every 3-5 months (depending on how lazy I am feeling).
Climate has definitely impacted my hair. I lived in Vegas for years, aka the driest place in the United States. And now I live in Utah, another really dry place.
My biggest hair concerns: Dryness and frizz.
Dae hair oil has help with both of these issues.
What’s in it?
A few of the key ingredients are Prickly Pear and Moringa Leaf. Prickly Pear is a cactus fruit (which is exactly what it sounds like – a fruit that grows on cactuses). It is rich in antioxidants and vitamins. They are native to the Americas and are all over the state of Arizona (where Amber Fillerup Clark grew up and currently lives.)
Moringa Leaf is another key ingredient as it has been proven to support keratin production in your hair.
Free of toxic ingredients:
Having a hair oil that is free of toxic ingredients is one of the most important things to me when choosing a product. I have more health issues than I would like to admit, so this is important for someone who has a lot of sensitivities. If I even think about walking into bath and body works I will light up in rashes.
This Dae Hair oil is labeled “clean” at Sephora.
- Free of sulfates SLS and SLES
- mineral oil
- retinyl palmitate
- coal tar
Full list of ingredients
Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Caprylyl Methicone, C13-15 Alkane, Ethyl Macadamiate, Opuntia Ficus-Indica Seed Oil (Sweet Prickly Pear), Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil Ψ Fragrance, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Plukenetia Volubilis Seed Oil, Eclipta Prostrata Extract, Melia Azadirachta Leaf Extract, Moringa Oleifera Seed Oil, Tocopherol.
Prickly Pear Oil Benefits for Hair
Prickly Pear oil has so many benefits for your hair.
- Hair Conditioner – It’s high in vitamin E and acts as a natural hair conditioner to fight frizz. (I need all the help I can get in this department)
- Helps add shine to your hair – Its fatty and amino acids content gives your hair shine, volume and lust.
- Promotes hair growth – Organic Prickly Pear Seed oil promotes hair growth.
- Treat the scalp – Prickly Pear oil can help replenishing the scalp.
- Hydrates your hair – Prickly Pear Seed Oil has the amazing ability to retain water in the driest of conditions, it does come from a cactus after all. It is sure to nourish your hair and smooths frayed cuticles
The scent of this Dae Hair oil is unlike any of my other hair products. It doesn’t smell “perfumey” like a lot of other products on the market and the smell is not too overbearing or obnoxious. It smells sweet and fruity in the best way. Smells like pears. I’m not normally a huge fan of citruses but this smells pleasant.
Disclaimer – I dislike heavy scented products. If you like really strong smelling products you might think this one is too “light”.
Another plus is the fragrance in this hair oil is an essential oil based scent with no synthetic fragrances. Yay! This is SO hard to find in even “all natural” beauty products. So many companies claim their products are all natural but then you see added “fragrance” on the label which means it could be one of a million different ingredients that aren’t regulated.
How to use:
There are a few different ways I use this hair oil.
- You can use it as a curl enhancer. After the shower put 1-2 pumps on the ends of your hair and scrunch your hair with a soft towel or old t-shirt.
- Apply it to dry hair to smooth, soften, and style. (Works like a dream!)
- You can also use it on damp hair as a detangler and to prevent breakage. (I apply this oil on my wet hair after each wash)
- Use overnight on dry hair as a hydrating treatment.
- Start with one to two pumps. (One pump was plenty for me)
Note – Dae hair oil only contains natural colors and should be stored out of direct sunlight to avoid fading.
Comes in a glass bottle with a plastic pump. Mine came with a cute keychain that says “Have a nice Dae”. It’s cute although I don’t think ill ever use it.
What I thought: My honest opinion
I love this hair oil. I thought the size of the bottle is generous and I love that there are limited ingredients. Even a lot of “non-toxic” or all natural hair and skincare products still have a lot of ingredients in them which makes me a little uneasy.
Pros and Cons
- Clean non-toxic ingredients
- A little goes a long way – lasts a long time
- Doesn’t make your hair greasy
- Comes in a glass bottle
- Adds shine
- So many multi-purpose uses
- Smooths fly aways well
- Safe for color treated hair
- Needs to be stored away from the sun. Not a huge deal but still worth noting.
- Expensive price point (Although it is cheaper than some of the other influencer hair oils out there like Gisou Hair Oil)
- Citrus smells aren’t for everyone
- Scent wears off fairly quickly
Where to buy
- You can purchase at Sephora. (In the US Sephora offers free returns to the store in you decide you don’t like it. Meaning yes, you can try it out and return it if it doesn’t work for you. Major plus!)
Note – I will review this Dae Hair Oil against Gisou Hair Oil once mine comes. Just ordered it!
Would I buy it again? Yes.
Should you buy it? I think it depends on what your needs are. If you are looking for a really heavy mosturizing hair oil this is probably not for you. Not into fruity smells? You probably won’t like this. If you want a lighter hair oil that will help fight frizz and smooth out your hair while adding shine I think this is a great hair oil that is worth purchasing.
As far as the price goes you can probably find a much cheaper alternative that will get you the same results. I personally didn’t mind paying more for this hair oil because it is high quality and lasts a long time. My bottle is about 6 months old and I haven’t even put a dent in it yet. (I don’t use it daily, only when I wash my hair which is once or twice a week)
Read my most popular reviews on Dae Hair products below:
Dae Shampoo Review – Unsponsored review of the Dae Shampoo and conditioner.
Read Next: The 5 Best Argan Oils For Your Face & Hair